THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, holistic public defender office located in Harlem. NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with crimes who cannot afford to hire an attorney. Clients are represented by teams composed of Attorneys, Investigators, Social Workers, and Team Administrators. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes.
The Team Administrator is responsible for working closely with team members in all aspects of client representation. The job includes frequent in-person and phone contact with clients, their families, criminal justice agencies, social service organizations, the court, and attorneys. The Team Administrator is expected to know or access the status of clients’ cases, including investigations and social work conducted on behalf of the client. The Team Administrator plays an integral role in fostering both internal communication between team members and external communication with city agencies and organizations with whom we and our clients interact. The Team Administrator must respond to inquiries from our clients and their families, especially when clients’ attorneys are unavailable.
- Enter data regarding our clients and their cases accurately and completely into our case management system.
- Maintaining the integrity NDS’ computer databases, which includes providing training and support to team members and assistance preparing reports for New York City and New York State.
- Maintain the team’s equipment (e.g. cameras) and supplies, photocopy, maintain case files, assist with word processing and typing, assemble documents and provide coverage for the office receptionist.
- Team Administrator candidates should be college graduates with a demonstrated commitment to criminal and/or social justice issues.
- Applicants must have a high level of organizational and administrative skills.
- The job requires expertise in word processing applications, a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment.
- Applicants must possess demonstrated ability to communicate with ease and accuracy and a high level of organizational skills in order to represent numerous clients.
- Applicants must be able to work cooperatively in a team setting, while still problem-solve independently.
- Fluency in Spanish in preferred.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Team Administrator, Criminal Defense Practice.” Please send your application as a one document attachment, preferably PDF.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.