THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office located in Harlem, providing criminal, civil, and family representation. NDS Clients are represented by multidisciplinary teams. NDS is accepting applications for the position of Process Server.
NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are entangled in the criminal, civil or family court systems in Manhattan and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, advocates, team administrators and interns. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Process Server delivers legal documents, locates individuals to be served, maintains delivery records, collaborates with all staff across NDS, and adheres to all laws, rules and regulations regarding licensed process servers.
- Deliver various legal documents by hand to individuals involved with court cases, including but not limited to summons and subpoenas.
- Receive verbal confirmation that the recipient is the individual named in the legal document before serving the papers.
- Collect the individual’s signature to confirm receipt of the document.
- In collaboration with investigative and other staff, locate individuals involved in court cases, using public records and other databases to identify their current whereabouts and contact information.
- Maintain accurate delivery records for all documents, including records of signatures.
- Prepare reports related to deliveries for use by lawyers, judges, and other legal professionals, or, in rare cases, testify in court.
- Work with lawyers to establish timelines for deliveries and determine each individual connected to a particular court case.
- Must possess a demonstrated commitment to civil rights, indigent defense, social justice issues and/or the Harlem communities.
- Must be a licensed process server in good standing.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must possess strong organizational skills in order to manage a high caseload and multi-task in a very fast-paced environment.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, analytical, writing, and communication skills.
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a team setting under significant time pressure.
- Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. Spanish language fluency is preferred.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Process Server.” Please send your application as a one document attachment, preferably PDF.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.