THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE is building a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office in Wayne County and we invite you to join our team as we represent our clients with excellence. Building on 30 years of experience of providing high quality representation, we are expanding our efforts to bring the same caliber of representation to the communities of Wayne County. We are seeking a team of highly organized, self-driven, and resilient individuals dedicated to our mission. The Criminal Defense Practice at NDS Detroit will represent residents of Wayne County who are charged with felony crimes and cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client- centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients while treating each client with dignity and respect.
The Facilities Manager is an integral part of the defense team who demonstrates a commitment to serving marginalized persons and communities. As a member of the inaugural staff member at the organization, the Facilities Manager will help shape our present and future—contributing to a collaborative environment and culture of excellence in alignment with our values. At NDS Detroit, how we represent our clients is as important as individual case outcomes and our ideal Facilities Manager approaches the cultivation of a positive office culture and the representation of indigent clients with equal rigor and commitment.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence.
- Manage, maintain, and supervise repair of all facilities including office space, on-site/off-site storage, information technology resources, telecommunications systems, mobile devices, printers, copiers, postage meters, and video displays.
- Train and supervise administrative staff in assisting with facilities duties.
- Ensure NDS’ compliance with all state and federal laws, including health and safety standards and industry codes, laws, rules and regulations.
- Establish and maintain an inventory of all equipment and supplies, replenishing inventory as needed.
- Coordinate mailroom functions, direct incoming and outgoing packages and insure accurate and complete deliveries.
- Manage contractor and vendor relationships including obtaining quotes from vendors and suppliers, establishing bidding process, and when necessary, comparing costs and negotiating contracts for purchase of goods and services.
- Ensure security of the facilities including responding to facility/equipment alarms and system failures and acting as floor fire warden during emergency drills.
- Safeguards and ensures working conditions of all office machinery including printers, copiers, postage meters, telecommunication system, Smart Boards and video displays.
The ideal candidate will bring:
- A demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, racial equity and social justice issues and Wayne County communities and a substantive understanding of the biases impacting our clients.
- Experience in office management, particularly as an administrative or executive assistant.
- Experience with using and training staff in MS Office Suite and Google Suite
- A high level of maturity and discretion combined with an ability to quickly build relationships across varying identities, income levels, races and ethnicities.
- A track record of strategically guiding projects and relationships; applying good and practiced judgment; and routinely pushing through roadblocks to achieve your goals.
- Management skills and a coaching mindset.
- A high level of organizational and administrative skills to multi-task in a very fast-paced environment.
- Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Technical writing experience a plus.
- A bachelor’s degree.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to DetroitHiring@ndsdetroit.org with the subject line, “Detroit Facilities Manager.” Please send your application as one document, preferably PDF.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who
are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people.